Martha and Mary


I was raised in a home that when someone came to visit, we pulled out all of the stops to make them feel welcome.  Glasses would quickly come out of the hutch.  A pitcher was given to one of the children to go down to the “wine room” to fill with some of my father’s home-made wine.  Plates were quickly filled with nuts, dried fruits, and any other appetizers that were kept in the house for when “company came.” When we expected visitors, all of this work was done prior to their arrival.  As a child, once the feast was set, I would simply stare at all of the goodies, which could not be touched until our guests arrived.  In the case of unexpected company, we were still so thrilled to receive them into our home, but the first few minutes of their visit was spent putting together their welcome feast.  Everything had to be just right.  At a young age, I truly learned what it meant to serve another with a joyful heart. I never once heard my mother complain about company.  I never saw her scurrying to get things done.  I saw her genuine love and care for those who came to be in our home.   Once they were there, we enjoyed the gift of their presence.  Sometimes, my parents sat with our guests for hours, all of them enjoying the gift of being with each other. 

Back then from my perspective, I can remember having to sit in the same room with the guests, and never daring to ask to be excused.  I just knew that wasn’t acceptable.  Leaving the guests to go play wasn’t an option…unless they brought their family members who were close to my age.  Most of the time, the guests were speaking to my parents in Portuguese, a language that I didn’t understand at the time.  Sometimes, the guests would ask us questions about school, or some other small talk in English, and it was a treat.  I still love entertaining and having company.  Most of all, I appreciate it when people who I care from are present, and allow me to be truly present to them.



The Biblical story of Martha and Mary reminds me of growing up in a house where we frequently entertained others.  When we were running around preparing the house for company, there was a little bit of Martha in each of us.  Once the work was done and the table was set, then there was a little bit of Mary too.  I recently re-read the story of Martha and Mary and was drawn to a few words and phrases that perhaps I hadn’t paid much attention to in the past. 

As they continued their journey he entered a village where a woman whose name was Martha welcomed him.  She had a sister named Mary, who sat beside the Lord at his feet listening to him speak. Martha, burdened with much serving, came to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me by myself to do the serving? Tell her to help me.” The Lord said to her in reply, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things.  There is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her.”  (Luke 10: 38-42)

The words that most jumped out at me were Jesus’, “You are anxious and worried about many things.  There is need of only one thing.  Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her.”  I have to admit that sometimes I can be worried and anxious about unimportant things.  I sometimes choose not to pay attention to what I know matters most.  Jesus’ reminder that there is need of only one thing, is a reminder to me to stay focused on that one thing, eternal life.  I get caught up worrying about everything else but my relationship with Christ at times.  I fear that if that passage included a reference to me, I too would have been rebuked.  Like Martha, I get so busy trying to do things for myself and others, that I sometimes forget why I should be doing what I’m doing.  Am I setting a table so that the person visiting with me will have a positive impression of me, or am I setting it out of love and service?  Am I so busy taking care of the needs of others so that they will like me, or praise me for my hard work, or are they being drawn closer to Christ as a result of my service?  Worse yet is when I am physically present with another, but distracted and withdrawn worrying about this and that. 

Mary chose the better part! Mary understood that the words that Jesus would speak to her, were those of everlasting life.  Faith is a choice.  Acting on faith is a choice.  Assuming the status of a disciple or learner (she sat at his feet) was a choice.  The choice isn’t about what is good for us in the moment, or what will make us happy.  Rather, it is a choice that we will serve the Lord and do what he asks us to do, no matter how difficult or challenging what he asks may be.  Sitting at the feet of Jesus is an outward sign of our submission to his will.  In the time of Jesus, one’s disciples assumed this position.  We hear that after Jesus expelled demons from a man, when those who had heard the news went looking for him, they found him sitting at the feet of Jesus.   (Luke 8:35)  The man, through his cure, had become a disciple, a servant of the message of Jesus.  What is remarkable about Mary, is that at the time of Jesus, it was not customary for women to assume this position at the Master’s feet.  Jesus was opening discipleship to everyone.

Reflecting on this passage, I remind myself that I am called to discipleship.  I need to live my life in Christ, direct my thoughts and actions for Christ, and to bring others closer to Christ.  I am being called to become Christ to others, and love as Jesus loves.  It’s what we are all called to do, “go and make disciples of all people.” 


Lord, grant me the grace to continuously serve others, and to follow you as Mary did.  May I rest myself at your feet, so that I can hear your words and live my life in accordance with your word and will.  Fill my heart and mind with the desire to do what you will have me do, and to choose what I need for my salvation and life with you. 

At Your Feet video, Casting Crowns

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus, Model of Humility

Imago Dei: Creation Receiving and Sharing God’s Love

Better to mourn than to feast?