The Canticle of Daniel


The Canticle of Daniel

Lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about all that I have to be thankful for in my life.   Truthfully, it’s a never-ending process.  My life has been filled with so many graces and blessings, and I don’t know that I have the capacity to ever truly appreciate all of the blessings that I’ve received.  Like many, I can easily focus on the things that haven’t gone right in my life, but sometimes need a gentle reminder of what’s right in my life.  Sad, but true.   

One of the blessings in my life was the time that I spent in the seminary discerning my life’s vocation.  My seminary experience is very much a part of the man that I am today.  My sense of both community and spirituality was truly deepened in those few years.  Praying the Liturgy of the Hours daily gave me a love of the Psalms and of Scripture, and has helped me to find strength and comfort in all things, joys and sufferings alike.  

Anyone who knows me, knows that my life’s guiding passage is Philippians 4:13, “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.”  Yet, verses 11-12 give definition to my life also, “…I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.   I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”

The passage is a reminder to neither despair, nor to trust in my own ways in times of trial, but rather in Christ’s ways.  I am reminded of Sunday morning prayer and how we would sing the antiphon, “From the midst of the flames, the three young men cried out in one voice, ‘blessed be God, blessed be God, Alleluia!’”  As I type these words, I can still hear the voices of my brother seminarians singing them, along with our teachers, some great priests.  Bear with me for what’s next.  After the antiphon, the cantor would invoke a part of our great cosmos, and we would all respond, “Bless the Lord.”  It was a reminder that all of creation blesses the Lord, and that he is praiseworthy and glorious, and exalted above all forever!  It was one of my favorite moments of prayer.  I’ll get to it in a minute, but my inspiration is that God didn’t save the three young men from the flames, he saved them in the flames!”  And not only did he save them in the flames, when all thought they would be perishing, they used that moment to praise the Lord, while staying faithful to his commands!  In that great moment, hearts were changed, and all were able to see the glory of God.   

What I love most about the Canticle of Daniel is also what draws me to the book of Saint Paul to the Philippians.  Both books describe what it’s like to praise God in the midst of whatever circumstances we may find ourselves in.  Paul was writing while imprisoned.  The three young men refused to disobey the commands of the Lord, and when threatened with death, remained fervent in their faith.  They were thrown into the flames because King Nebuchadnezzar demanded that all worship a golden image that he had made, which they refused to do.  When threatened to be thrown into the flames, they responded to the King, “There is no need for us to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If our God, whom we serve, can save us from the white-hot furnace and from your hands, O king, may he save us! But even if he will not, you should know, O king, that we will not serve your god or worship the golden statue which you set up.”

Well, the king was so enraged that he had his men build an even larger fire than usual, seven times hotter than usual, according to the scripture.  The young men were cast into a furnace that was so hot, that the men who threw them into the fire were consumed by the flames and perished.  What did they do as they stood there in the face of death and danger?  They praised God! They used what should have been their last moments in this world to glorify God.  They sang a song of blessing from themselves and from all facets of our world.  I have to admit that whenever we have good old New England winter weather, I find myself singing at least one part of this beautiful canticle, “Ice and snow, bless the Lord.” 

Bless the Lord, all you works of the Lord. *
Praise and exalt him above all forever.
Angels of the Lord, bless the Lord. *
You heavens, bless the Lord.
All you waters above the heavens, bless the Lord. *
All you hosts of the Lord, bless the Lord.
Sun and moon, bless the Lord. *
Stars of heaven, bless the Lord.

Every shower and dew, bless the Lord. *
All you winds, bless the Lord.
Fire and heat, bless the Lord. *
Cold and chill, bless the Lord.
Dew and rain, bless the Lord. *
Frost and chill, bless the Lord.
Ice and snow, bless the Lord. *
Nights and days, bless the Lord.
Light and darkness, bless the Lord. *
Lightnings and clouds, bless the Lord.

Let the earth bless the Lord. *
Praise and exalt him above all forever.
Mountains and hills, bless the Lord. *
Everything growing from the earth, bless the Lo2
Seas and rivers, bless the Lord.
You dolphins and all water creatures, bless the Lord. *
All you birds of the air, bless the Lord.
All you beasts, wild and tame, bless the Lord. *
You sons of men, bless the Lord.

O Israel, bless the Lord. *
Praise and exalt him above all forever.
Priests of the Lord, bless the Lord. *
Servants of the Lord, bless the Lord.
Spirits and souls of the just, bless the Lord. *
Holy men of humble heart, bless the Lord.
Hananiah, Azariah, Mishael, bless the Lord. *
Praise and exalt him above all forever.

Let us bless the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. *
Let us praise and exalt him above all forever.
Blessed are you, Lord, in the firmament of heaven. *
Praiseworthy and glorious and exalted above all forever.

I should mention that one of my favorite parts of the story is that when the King’s people were watching what was happening in the fire, they not only saw the three young men joyfully dancing while singing this song and remaining faithful to God, but also a fourth man dancing in the flame with them…one that the people knew was from God Himself.  But what does it all mean? 

We are not alone in times of trial.  When we stay faithful to God’s commands and obey His will, He is sheltering us, keeping us safe, and while not always saving us from our fires, he is there with us and saving us in the fire. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus, Model of Humility

Better to mourn than to feast?

Imago Dei: Creation Receiving and Sharing God’s Love